Frequently Asked Questions
Experience. We have been offering our painting services in Calgary since 1992.
Simply put, we accomplish our objectives by following a step by step process perfected by repetition and the desire to improve year after year. My name is Ted Rinshed and I'm the owner of Eco Star Painting. One of my interests is in product education and the search for the latest and greatest paint coatings. We will find the optimum paint to fit your budget and needs.
As the company name implies, we have a reputation for using Eco Friendly Paints that have Zero VOC's and practically no odor. They offer premium levels of durability & performance. I can say with confidence that your home,office,business, or space will be safe to occupy immediately after the painting is completed.
Excellent prep work (preparation of the surface) is one of the things that separates us from the rest. This takes time and the right mentality to do it properly Eco Star Painting has invested heavily in prep tools such as our Festool Dustless Sanding System. For drywall that has a massive amount of damage, we use a dustless wall sander by Porter Cable . The PC 7800 sander has a large 9" sanding pad and it is connected to a dust extractor. For most jobs, we use a Festool 5" orbital sander. You cannot beat an electric sander for smoothness and it feathers out the patching compound flawlessly.
You can rest assured that we take great effort to cover up the floor,carpet and your furnishings with drop cloths and plastic. We will leave no surface exposed and vulnerable during the painting process. This includes using masking tape for baseboards. We use 'Frog Tape' which is a masking product that doesn't allow "bleed through." This premium masking tape has a built in sealer that is activated when moisture (paint) is applied to it's surface. It prevent paint from leaking through.
Most often cover the window and door frames with Frog Tape before painting the walls. You cannot achieve the same degree of accuracy when brushing free hand.
Application tools such as brushes and rollers are important and we like to use the best application tools available. This not only makes the job easier for us but it also produces optimal results. My favorite roller covers are the "Wooster" Lint free roller covers which do not shed and leave behind fiber remnants on the wall or surface.
Studious prep work,using the best tools, and applying top quality paint doesn't mean a thing without excellent craftsmen performing these tasks. We are very proud of the quality of work we produce on a consistent basis.
When the job is completed, we will leave behind all the unused paint and label it for future use.
Finally, we will leave the job site as clean as when we first arrived.
Yes, absolutely we can provide you with references.
For a quick view, please go to Google My Business or Google Maps on your phone or computer and read out reviews online. Some of our customer reviews are also listed on the Home Page of this site.
There are also a few 'Video Reviews' located on the Home Page of this website.
I have a new YouTube channel called "The Calgary Painter" that will give you a closer look at how some of the painting tasks are done. 'Before and After' videos of a few recent projects are available as well. I will be adding more content such as product reviews,How to videos, and various industry related topics frequently. This channel will be a video record & repository for some of the Jobs we have undertaken and finished.
That is the million dollar question isn't it. You'll find that every painting contractor will give you a different answer to this question. There are a lot of different variables that factor into the equation.
If someone were to ask you how much a car costs or how much a dinner costs what would your answer be? One could be in the market for a Buick or a Lamborghini. You could dine at MacDonald's or go to a fine restaurant.
For Interior painting you have to consider several factors when determining the cost of a job:
- How much damage does the drywall have and how many hours will it take to repair? What level of prep work will you demand? Good, better or best? We can bring back really beat up walls to near perfect condition but that takes time.
- How many coats of paint is required? For a repaint of the same color, only a single coat is usually required. Any color change will be 2 coats. When applying pure white over dark surfaces at least 3 coats may be needed. Some reddish or orange colors (that are translucent) can often take 3 or more coats. This rarely happens but it is certainly a possibility. We would know before the job if the chosen color may have some potential coverage issues. Often times the solution can be as simple as choosing another color with better hiding properties.
- What quality of paint do you want? New homes are most often painted with low sheen, poor quality contractor type paint. It looks great but is not washable. One fingerprint and you will see 'burnishing' if you try to clean it off. What quality? Good,Better or Best? Paint can range from $15/gallon to over $100/gallon.
- How high are your walls & ceiling? Generally speaking, the higher the walls the higher the labor costs.
- Do you have chair rails, dental molding or any fancy trim? Detailed moldings will take longer to cut (brush) in.
- How large are your rooms? Bigger living spaces are more labor intensive and require more paint.
- Does your home or apartment have a lot of furniture to move? Do you want us to move the furniture (or clothes out of your closets) or would you prefer to do that task yourself?
- Ok you want some actual prices. I get it. Check out the Blog section of this site and look for a post about a Cedar Deck we stripped and stained. That was a 4 part process to strip & stain. The cost of that project was approximately $2.50 per square foot of deck floor. A 400 sq foot deck=$1,000 That deck was very weathered and dirty and took about 14 hrs just to strip & sand. Check out the Video of that job at my YouTube Channel called "The Calgary Painter"
- An average Bedroom Closet costs about $50 to paint 2 coats.
- A flat door is cheaper to paint than a paneled door if done by brush or roll. Two coats on a flat door would cost approximately $25/door depending on the quality of the paint. A paneled door would be double the cost to paint. That said, spraying the doors would take an equal amount of time and therefore be priced the same.
Generally speaking an estimate takes about 1/2 hour for the average sized house or business. Our process is as follows:
(1) We'll discuss what rooms or areas you'd like painted,what color you had in mind,quality of paint preferred (good,better,best), and any other questions you might have.
(2) Color selection that very moment is not required. We can match any sample you have. We have color fan-decks that you can look through or I can schedule a colorist (designer) to help once the contract details are agreed upon.
(3) I will measure every room quickly with a lazer measure device and take a picture of each area.
(4) In a day or two a fully detailed paint quote will be emailed to you.
(5) Final step is we discuss a start date and a contract is sent.
This is often the most asked question we get. There are a lot of variables to consider including the square footage as well as it’s current state of repair.
The height of the interior walls or exterior building will add a degree of difficulty. An empty house will take 1/2 the time as an occupied space. The amount of furniture or things that have to be moved around is also a factor.
We understand that getting the work done quickly is important but we will not sacrifice quality for speed.
Generally speaking, an average sized house will take a day or so to prep and a few days to paint. We can complete the painting in approximately two or three days depending on the size and scope of the work. An office or a bedroom would take about two man-hours to paint.
Exterior painting can be a longer process because the prep work alone can take 2 days. We always pressure wash the building first and return 3-4 days later after it has dried. Next, the sanding, filling and caulking is completed. Finally, on the third day we can start the painting. There is no such thing as a one day paint job because the pressure washing alone takes 3-4 days to dry out and you still have to prep it.
Most often we use 2-3 man crews for a project. The larger the job task, the larger the assigned crews.
We will inform you how long the work will take after the quote is completed.
We are "Eco Stars" that's why.
I've always believed in working in an environment where your health is not at risk because of the various materials we handle daily. It starts with paint of course and the zero VOC ( volatile organic compound ) coatings today are relatively harmless, low odor and offer premium levels of performance.
Traditional paints can emit cancer causing chemicals when curing and may trigger allergic reactions, such as irritation to the skin, eyes and lungs.
Volatile Organic Compounds or VOC's include a variety of molecular compounds, some of which may have short- and long-term adverse health effects.
Concentrations of VOCs are much higher indoors so it is even more necessary to use Eco friendly paints for interior projects. VOC Emissions from carpets & vinyl flooring, for instance, can also contribute to indoor pollution.
Paint technology has come a long way since the days when I started in this trade 24 years ago. Oil based paints are on it's way out because of the new VOC laws enacted in recent years. Even Lacquer has a water-borne Low VOC alternative to the toxic alcohol based version.
The tools we use for sanding and prep work has advanced greatly in recent years too. We've used a dustless sanding system for nearly a decade. Random orbital sanders are hooked up to a dust extractor (vacuum) which have Hepa Filters for maximum containment. Drywall dust can be a health hazard too and the fine particles can stay airborne for hours. Same goes for sanding lead based paints and other wood products. Everyone, including the painters, homeowners or business occupants benefit from a dust free environment. Eco Star Painting is one of the few painting contractors in Calgary who are equipped with this system. It's expensive and cumbersome to haul around but we feel it is necessary.
Let's take a look at some of our favorite interior paints
For Interior Residential Painting we like to use:
Benjamin Moore 'BEN" Eggshell Paint,Dulux Lifemaster Eggshell Paint or Sherwin Williams 'Emerald' Paint.
Cloverdale's 'Horizon' is a nice mid -grade Zero Voc paint for walls.
Benjamin Moore Natura is a top end Zero Voc paint paint when high durability and low odor is required. This is a top choice for hospitals, day-care centers or retirement communities. People who have low sensitivities might also want to choose this premium paint. Babies are often very sensitive to paint odors. This is the safest and most durable Zero Voc paint on the market in my opinion.
Bathrooms have high humidity and require paints with mildew resistant properties. Benjamin Moore's "Aura Bath and Spa" is our top choice. It has color lock technology and comes in a matte sheen.
Dulux 'Kitchen & Bath' is an excellent mid-priced product. It's zero Voc, moisture and mildew Resistant, and is formulated with E-Z Clean technology (stain resistant).
We often use Benjamin Moore's 'Ultra Spec 500' for Offices and Commercial properties. It is a cost effective,mid grade zero voc paint.
Dulux Lifemaster eggshell is another paint we use in those spaces. Both are low odor and zero Voc. Lifemaster has EZ Clean Technology which prevents oily stains like crayons, lipstick, pen and greasy finger and food stains from penetrating the surface of the paint, so they are easily removed.
Door and trim are best served when tough acrylic enamels are applied. Some of our favorites are:
Dulux 'Diamond' Semi-Gloss is an excellent trim paint. It features ceramic microspheres and advanced stain resistant technologies.It is suited for high traffic areas in home, office, commercial or industrial environments.
Clovedale's 'EcoLogic' Paint is an ultra low Voc paint and is one of our favorite high performance coatings. This paint was specifically formulated to replace alkyd base products in hospitals, schools, heavy duty institutional and light industrial areas.
Eco Star Painting provides a written 3 year warranty for every Residential and Commercial job.
Our proposals are guaranteed and there are no hidden costs or fees. Our quotes include paint, material, & labor costs.
We list the exact paint brand to be used on the job in the proposal, and apply the coatings in accordance to the manufacturer's paint specifications & guidelines.